Saturday 22 September 2012

Written City 5: Parking Situation



When I got up this morning and took my first glance out of the window I was slightly startled to see this parked outside.

Apologies To Anyone Who Is Easily Offended

Round here we’re more used to town centre workers and Saturday shoppers using the street for convenient free parking so it did at least provide some novelty value.  There’s clearly some type of protest being made here and a touch of cut-price anarchy about that matt black paint job, although it doesn’t quite have the street poetry or philosophical underpinnings of the best Situationist graffiti.  I am rather charmed by the quite careful but slightly wonky lettering though.  Anyway, I guess it’s an alternative example of an urban text and must allow Tim to take it to all the streets.


Contemporary Situationist-Inspired Graffiti, Provenance Unknown

Contemporary Situationist-Inspired Graffiti, Provenance Unknown

Luckily, the Transit  didn't explode and was gone by the time I’d showered so I’ll probably never know what’s written on the other sides.  Mostly, I suppose it’s just one of those slightly incongruous little events that keep the everyday interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment