Tuesday 11 December 2012

Twelve Months



Whilst casually looking back through this blog earlier today, I noticed it’s a year since I started it.  I’ve just read my slightly tentative and rather mannered introductory post and realised that writing all this stuff has become a far more significant part of my current life than I could possibly have imagined twelve months ago.


'Together 1', 2011
'Broken 1', 2011
'Home 1', 2011

My initial intention back then was to use it primarily as a fairly straightforward means of displaying my artwork.  I’d come to the end of a productive year of concerted painting activity and felt that, for the first time really, I had the beginnings of a body of work I could really believe in.  I’m pleased to say that process has continued through this year too and that the creative momentum of painting, and indeed blog-writing, has become pretty much self-perpetuating.  After years of procrastination, that feels like a major cause for celebration.


'Safe From Harm 1', (Triptych),  2011


'Asylum 1', 2011

'Sick 1', (Set of Four Panels), 2012


Even at the start I knew that the speed at which I work implied I’d end up writing about other things in the gaps between completing each painting.  I’ve always enjoyed writing and, as regular readers must now realise, love words for their own sake.  For years I never really had an outlet for that, (other than boring people in pubs), so this has become a fantastic arena for me to get  the thoughts that regularly clutter up my head into wires and onto screens.



'Welcome', (For Nina May McDermott-Crampton), 2012

'Closed 1', 2012
'Closed 2', 2012


Many of those additional posts feature cultural artefacts of various types, produced by other people.  Some deal with my relationship with the physical environments I’ve passed through, in particular my feelings about inhabiting different cities throughout my life.  A relationship with ‘place’ has always been intrinsic to my perception of life and, along with the whole element of text, plays a major part in my artistic process.  Others venture into the field of philosophy or even politics but, I fear, in a somewhat woolly-headed manner.  The rest are just things it seemed important to say at the time.


 
Untitled Studies, 2012


It seems I’ve averaged around seven posts per month, which is far more than I ever envisaged.  If Google are to be believed, I’ve had visitors from all continents except Antarctica, including places as divers as Nepal, The Alaand Islands and Reunion, (look up the last two, - I had to!).  To anyone who only stumbled over me in search of information on Gerhard Richter, Stuart Davis or Supersilent, - I hope I could add something to your sum of knowledge.  To anyone who may regularly read this but has never left a comment, - Thanks anyway; I hope all’s well with you.


Studies For 'Shut 1', 2012

'Shut 1', 2012


Perhaps the single most significant effect of the blog to date is how it led directly to my participation in a proper, grown-up exhibition last month and to make some new friends in the process.  Thanks again to those who made that happen and to those who came along to look.




Studies For 'Shut 2', 2012

'Shut 2', 2012


At the risk of over-repetition, this post includes the images of my own work that have featured on the blog over the months.  Sorry if you are sick of looking at these, - there'll be new stuff to show you over the next twelve months.



2 comments:

  1. Cheers, glad you like them. There's a variety of other stuff produced since this post, at various points throughout the blog. If you haven't already found them , they're usually in posts headed 'Completed Painting' etc. or 'Belgrave Gate Project...'

    ReplyDelete