Friday 29 March 2013

Belgrave Gate Project 2: Painting In Progress - 'Yours 1'



'Yours 1', Sketchbook Study, Acrylics &
Paper Collage, 2013
Current Arctic temperatures are a definite discouragement to getting out and about much but, indoors, I’m trying to use the very welcome school holidays to progress with my first significant painting of the year.  The painting will be part of the 'Belgrave Gate Project' referred to in my last post and, whilst it's my intention that this project should see me extend my work further into other media, I'm sure painting will remain central to my practice.  Certainly, after a phase of research and development involving much photographic activity, it feels good to be getting paint under my fingernails again.


'Yours 1', Sketchbook Study, Acrylics &
Paper Collage, 2013
  
As an initial statement, this one follows my customary basic model of the last couple of years, juxtaposing various elements, including text, into an overall composition.  As before, I'm working it up from relatively 'finished' sketchbook studies, although these always evolve through a fairly intuitive collaging method.  What is new is the heightened site-specificity of this piece.  Relating to that, the underlying composition actually derives from a particular photographic image and includes motifs that at least allude to illusionistic space and the piercing of the picture plane.  Anyone used to thinking in pictorial terms, and who is familiar with my recent work may recognize this as something of a departure and it is my hope that the paintings produced as part of this overall project will gradually move into some new painterly territories.  Of course, it's always better to allow these things to occur organically by working, rather than to force the issue, so we will see.  Anyway, more about all this once the painting reaches some kind of conclusion.


Burleys Flyover, Leicester, 2012

Burleys Flyover, Leicester, 2013

The image refers to two of the most striking features of the Belgrave Gate/ Burleys Way/St Matthews Way roundabout junction, just north of Leicester's city centre.  These are Burleys flyover and the truly spectacular 'Yours Supermarket'.  It's a node of the inner ring road that I traverse every working day and my fascination with the locale stems from that familiarity, but also from the realisation that I've collected numerous images from specific sites around this area in recent times.  It seemed time to formally recognize that the entire neighbourhood has become an arena of both visual and psychic resonance for me and to start investigating it subjectively in greater detail.  The overall project is also an opportunity to integrate more formally  some of the ideas that fascinate me about Psychogeography, subjective mapping, urban exploration, time/space relationships in the environment, etc., with themes already extant in my work, (entropic surfaces, found texts, etc.).


Furniture Store, Belgrave Gate, Leicester, 2013

Furniture Store, Belgrave Gate, Leicester, 2013

Regular readers may recognize the supermarket building from a previous post.  It previously housed a furniture store and caught my attention through the détournement potential of its intriguing window signage.  Indeed, on the day I originally photographed it, painters were in the process of applying the startling lime green paint that now covers the whole building, prior to the change of use.  As I've so often noted about my relationship with urban environments, its all about the transformations.




No comments:

Post a Comment