Tuesday 11 August 2015

Run It Up The Flag Pole And See If It Flies...





When I took these images I thought they were mostly just about the abstract qualities of shape and joyous colour, plus all that implied movement.


Both Images: Rempstone Steam & Country Show, Nottinghamshire, July 2015


Now I look at them again, I realise they're equally about the startling juxtaposition of numerous, implied mixed messages.  It's hardly an original or profound thought, but I'm struck by how easily we reduce complex value systems of whatever form, into un-nuanced emblems.  The clashing of seemingly unrelated symbols is an idea I'd quite like to explore in my work at some point.  I'm not quite sure how just yet, so I'll just file it in the subconscious ideas bank for now.

In passing, it also occurs to me that the enduringly popular 'Smiley' is, I suppose, the prototype for what are now called Emojis.




No comments:

Post a Comment