Monday 16 July 2012

More Doors Of Perception




As I trawl my photographic archives I find more and more images of closed doors, gates, shutters and so on.  Here are some more examples.  These were taken over the last three years in Leicester, Nottingham and Grimsby.  There’s somewhat less textual content in some of these but still bags of formal and textural interest.








Clearly, it’s a subject category to which I’ve been drawn for a while without thinking about very consciously.  Maybe, I’ve tended to focus on what’s on the surface within their frames, - regarding them as found images, whilst disregarding the implications of their function as barriers or blocked portals.  I don’t want to go into it all too deeply right now, but there’s a lot that might be explored around themes of privacy, security, exclusion, indifference, lack of engagement and denial of access or opportunity, amongst much else.






It’s a typical example of the coming together of a visual motif with a set of associations that can also relate to a wider external context.  This process often causes me to regard something that’s been in the background for ages with renewed fascination.








No comments:

Post a Comment