Thursday 18 July 2013

Belgrave Gate Project 5: Completed Studies



Apologies once again, to those of an easily offended disposition, for the mildly obscene imagery included in my current painting work.  I hope that, as explained in my previous post on the subject, it’s artistically justified in the larger context of the ‘Belgrave Gate: Cave Wall’ pieces and the source imagery that feeds them.


Study For 'Belgrave Gate: Cave Wall', Acrylics & Paper Collage On Paper.
20 cm X 20 cm, 2013

My recent progress seems as painfully slow as it’s been all year but, thankfully, there has been no diminution in enthusiasm for the ideas I’m engaged with.  Anyway, the blessed school holidays are finally upon us and, after fulfilling a brief prior commitment, there’s nothing left to stop me getting properly stuck in again for the next five weeks.


Study For 'Belgrave Gate: Cave Wall', Acrylics & Paper Collage On Paper.
20 cm X 20 cm, 2013

Today was the first proper full painting day of summer and I’ve already polished off these two studies that have been hanging around in a partially completed state for too long.  I intend to produce a series of these in parallel with the medium sized panels to which they relate.  Two of those are well under way and I’ll embark on a third in the next few hours. 


'Belgrave Gate: Cave Wall 2', Work In Progress, Acrylics & Paper Collage
On Panel, 60 cm X 60 cm, 2013

Put that way, things don’t sound quite so sluggish.  It’s always been my intention that the studies should feed into the actual paintings as they evolve to explore possible approaches more organically.  With more time available to me, I hope this procedure will start to justify itself more obviously in real time.

Must get on…


No comments:

Post a Comment