Tuesday 17 September 2013

In Nottamun Town



Nottingham, September 2013


After I’d finished viewing the ‘Aquatopia’ exhibition discussed in my recent post, I wandered out the back door of Nottingham Contemporary with my camera to explore views of the city’s adjacent transport infrastructure.


Looking Back Toward Nottingham Contemporary, Nottingham, September 2013

Nottingham, September 2013


There’s a small pocket of territory just behind the gallery that represents exactly the kind of multi-layered city environment to which I’m habitually drawn and is dominated by the interaction between two busy road junctions and a major elevated section of Nottingham’s tram network.  I was drawn both to both the rather scruffy, interim world below the tramline and the complex of road signage, gantries, power lines and CCTV cameras on the upper level.  The views over the tramway towards the newish high-rise buildings beyond create exactly the kind of hard-edged, dynamic futurism beloved of planners and architects.


Beneath The Tramlines, Nottingham, September 2013


Back at lower ground level however, is a little zone of ramshackle small business and pre-war public housing that creates a completely different mood.  Inevitably, I’m now thinking about the photographs I didn’t take and contemplating repeat visits to document the juxtaposition of these different worlds in more detail. 


Broadmarsh Car Park, Nottingham, September 2013

Broadmarsh Car Park, Nottingham, September 2013


The third major strand running through all this is the way that the pedestrian routes are geared to direct foot traffic through the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre across the road.  I ended up taking an unwanted detour through this rather dated down-market mall (getting back almost to my starting point) just to get the view I wanted of hazard graphics around the car park entrance.  It seemed a perfect illustration of my developing ideas about how systems of movement and communication also become systems of control in the modern world.


Outbound Tram, Nottingham, September 2013

Inbound Tram, Nottingham, September 2013


I ended my little excursion by photographing the trams gliding in and out of their elevated tram stop.  It was another subject that cried out for moving imagery but, as I’ve just taken delivery of a half-decent video camera, that’s only a matter of time.  I just need to learn how to use the blinkin’ thing properly now.


Nottingham, September 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment