Thursday 15 May 2014

Camera Elusiva



Whilst the hand-made object/image remains at the very centre of my art, I very rarely draw these days.  I certainly used to, and for many years I pursued the idea that everything should stem from the act of drawing.  Strangely, only when I allowed myself liberation from this precept, did the production of images I could feel genuine satisfaction with really start to flow.


Sneinton Market, Nottingham, April 2014


I certainly don’t want to demean drawing, - there are still few thrills in art as immediately satisfying as drawing, or of encountering a well made example of it, of whatever sort.  For me though, it’s through my camera lens that the source images which nourish my work are now absorbed.

Everything I do reflects my experience of city spaces, and it feels like the rapid repetition of shutter clicks is just a better way to seize the dynamic procession of impressions, fleeting glimpses and stolen moments I find as I move amongst them.  Conversely, it also seems a great way to monitor the slow, entropic processes at work on the very fabric of the city.  I was going to say ‘objectively’ but that’s not right at all…




No comments:

Post a Comment