Sunday 6 July 2014

Recurring Motifs




Certain motifs just seem to keep cropping up at the moment.  One is abandoned cycle parts.


East Leicester, July 2014

Another is blind windows.


East Leicester, July 2014

East Leicester, July 2014

East Leicester, July 2014

And then, there are always yellow things.  I never tire of these bright, primary interventions in the urban landscape.


North Leicester, July 2014

North Leicester, July 2014

In this case, despite the presence of texts, colour, and the inevitable evidence of entropic processes, it's really formal geometry that unites these images.  I suppose I should be wary of sinking too deeply into a predictable comfort zone, and my resort to familiar visual themes may be due to my feeling a bit uninspired right now.  In mitigation though, they usually find me.  I try not to go actively looking for these things and the connections often emerge as I collate the downloaded photos. 





2 comments:

  1. We've talked about our similar taste in images...these are perfect examples.
    But I'm especially taken with the bike parts. I like to bury organic bods in geometric piles...I just like the contrast. The bike buried in sludge is an intriguing reversal this.

    I have some pictures I should send to you. I don't know if they're gonna get posted on mine but I think you'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever, cheers for the positive feedback. I've not had too much of my artwork to show just lately but the photos are all just part of the wider process too. If nothing else, they provide a kind of context for the more directed stuff and, I guess, are all about continually monitoring the often overlooked punctuation points in the city as I move through it. Some of these were in an obscure industrial cul de sac where I just beached the car in on a whim.

    I often fear I'm just taking the same images over and over, but there was a genuine moment of recognition when I came across each of these subjects. For whatever reason, there's an edge of slight tragedy in them I feel. I'm glad you like the bike in the mud. I loved the way the rear wheel is just being absorbed back into the organic slime while the front end retains some of its original manufactured identity, (for now). It's just a few metres from my school workplace but I'd have missed it if we hadn't taken some students out to take nature photos. I guess mine is just a different kind of nature shot.

    Ping your own shots over by all means, - I'm always interested to see someone else's take on things.

    ReplyDelete