Saturday 19 September 2015

Split Level




Both Images: Tate Modern, London, May 2015


Following my previous post, here are a couple of photographs, grabbed on the escalators at Tate Modern during the same visit.  They were very much an opportunistic thing, and heaven knows, they exhibit a wealth of technical shortcomings.  Anyone who knows anything about photographic exposures will spot just how far, (and not especially successfully), these were pushed in Photoshop, whilst perspective fans will recognise the degree to which they've also been distorted.





Despite all that, I kind of really like them.  They certainly capture a moment, and seem to say a lot about my impressions of Tate Modern, acquired over repeated visits, as a kind of multi-layered Art tank.  These feel almost aquarium-like, - what with all that greenish, illuminated glass.  The people seem to exist in almost parallel dimensions and there's a definite sense of the rather gloomy illumination that characterises the Bankside building's open spaces.

Nothing much else to say really; they are what they are.




2 comments:

  1. I love these. I'm suddenly back there, although it's been over a year. I hadn't realised, until seeing these, how much the escalator experience (and that gloomy illumination) really represents the whole feeling of being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like them. I can never decide whether I think they got this interior design scheme right or not, but the fact that it makes a memorable impression means that something must be right. Actually, it makes me realise that I much prefer those situations where something works for some of the 'wrong' reasons, as well as all the right ones. Atmosphere is generally an organic thing, after all.

    ReplyDelete