Tuesday 26 July 2016

'Dragstalgia 2016' At Santa Pod Raceway



All Images: 'Dragstalgia 2016', Santa Pod Raceway, Northamptonshire, July 2016.
1932 Ford Model B Coupe Dragster.


Habitual visitors here may know that, periodically, I do something enthusiastically car or vehicle related – largely in memory of my late Father, (or, as last year, my Grandfather too).  My standard disclaimer is that, whilst no great petrol-head myself, the involvement of the previous two generations of Marwoods, with various types of machinery, did make a significant impression on my early years.



1955 Ford F100 Pickup Truck: It Was Immaculate...

...As Was This 1959 Chevrolet Impala


Inevitably perhaps, my own interest eventually settled on the aesthetic, sensory aspects of vehicles, rater than the nuts and bolts.  In fact, my main interest in cars nowadays, is where they might take me, (or the environments that support them) - and my mechanical skills extend little beyond changing a wheel or topping-up fluid levels.  I can still take a certain pleasure in tinkering with my bike, but that feels far more like a low-tech extension of the human body than any motorised vehicle I ever encounter.



There's No Reason Why The Engine Shouldn't Be Pretty...


...But One May Not Be Enough.


Either way, it feels like the time of year for a little more indulgent regression.  Thus, I recently ventured out, to repeat my excursion of two years ago, and watch some Drag Racing at Northamptonshire’s Santa Pod Raceway.  I had massively enjoyed 2014’s ‘Dragstalgia’ weekend of period machinery, and this also being Santa Pod’s 50th anniversary year, was more than happy to repeat the experience.


Late 1940s GMC Pickup: Some Like Their Ride Really Low

...Others Prefer A Little More Clearance:  Austin A35 Gasser Dragster

Or You Could Have A Really Wide One: 1968 Plymouth Fury

... And Again, From 1958


The ludicrous, cartoonish excesses of Hot Rods and Dragsters, along with the vintage vehicles with which my Dad occupied much of his spare time, were where most of my adolescent car enthusiasms settled.  And, however inward-looking (as any other sub culture) it may be, I can still enjoy the efforts of those who put effort into shoe-horning massively overpowered engines into old bodywork, (often too small to accommodate them), then covering the results in a lurid, possibly kitsch, paint job. The resolutely home built nature of these machines is of great appeal, too.


Ford Front End: Model T Hot Rod

...And Another: 1944 Ford

...And The Definitely Non-Original Rear End Of A 1932 Ford Model B Coupe.





Examples Of The Ever-Popular 1941 Willys, From Various Angles 


That the ultimate fulfillment of such activities should be to repeatedly propel the things for a straight quarter mile, in as few seconds as possible, seems particularly pointless, and yet remains fascinatingly hypnotic.  Actually, the self-fulfilling functionlessness of it all may not even be so far removed from the production of art for its own sake as human impulses go.  I guess it’s all a pretty obvious male orgasm analogue too.


1956 Chevrolet Gasser Dragster


The Patina Of Age May Be Preferable To High Maintenance Paintwork...

...Or Maybe Just Several Coats Of Primer.


I described some of the sights, sounds and smells of Drag Racing, last time round, along with the non-exclusive geniality of the participants, - none of which have changed.  Frustratingly, as two years ago, I found the hardest thing was to record any of the actual action photographically, without a long lens or the ability to actually get trackside.  Watch any YouTube footage of dragsters crashing and you’ll understand the latter restriction straight away.


The Historic 200 mph 'Commuter' Dragster:  I Had The Toy Version Of This

Huge American Engine Into Tiny Italian Body Will Go: Fiat Toppolino Comp. Altered Dragster...


...Or You Could Stick With Flat Four, German Engineering


Thus, what you have here, in the main, is a selection of images of certain dragsters, and associated ‘Show ’n’ Shine’ vehicles at rest.  I did however experiment with a bit of video footage this time, and have included a couple of amateurish snippets.  It does make me wonder if a kind of persistent loop of the cars repeatedly launching might have some appeal.  I also quite like the potential of unfocussed footage to convey something of the overall sensory experience, but that might just be because whenever I film moving traffic, either from inside or outside, I invariably end up unfocusing the camera.










Either way, that hardly qualifies as serious or accomplished filming.  If you want a better flavour of the bizarre, mechano-fetishistic spectacle of Drag Racing, why not try these...
















No comments:

Post a Comment