Tuesday 19 February 2019

The Bin Commandments 1



West Leicester, February 2019


I've been cataloguing refuse bins for a while now.  In many respects, they seem to play a similar role to abandoned fridges, as sentinels of my local landscape.  However, the focus is more on the textual content, than the carrier (or indeed, the actual contents).

In a neighbourhood of tightly-packed, often multi-occupancy, terraced housing, the territoriality and etiquette of wheelie bin use is a matter of some importance - and potential trigger of social tension, on occasion.  And, quite obviously, as a motif - the bins also stimulate a meditation on our disposable, consumer economy, and current attitudes to the provision of public services.  As ever, though, the unofficial will always subvert the official; and observed reality will always short circuit any trite theory I might have formulated about the work I'm doing.  I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.  




I wonder if these will become another little blog series?  We'll see...




No comments:

Post a Comment