Sunday 3 May 2020

Pretty, Vacant 2




All Images: Central Leicester, May 2020

Here are a few more images of vacant or inactive commercial premises, captured on another of my routine lock-down bike rides around Leicester.  Although these were encountered at two separate food-related locations - it's striking how they're unified by their red-painted framing elements, and delicious paper-based blanking strategies.








I'm not sure if it's exactly healthy that I'm starting to almost enjoy the slightly post-apocalyptic mood suffusing the city centre, in recent weeks.  In my defence, subjects like these windows were well represented in my photo archive, long before we'd ever heard of Covid-19.  It's not even certain that the inactive state of these premises is directly virus-related.  Years of economic uncertainty and Austerity have been stimulating such phenomena for years, after all.










Nevertheless, they do seem to capture the current atmosphere, I feel.  As I cycle around the eerie, almost deserted city streets, I can't help wondering if such economic inactivity, and the vacated spaces and blind windows that result, will become ever more prevalent  features of the urban landscape 'once this is all over'.         







No comments:

Post a Comment