Tuesday 7 August 2012

R.I.P. Robert Hughes


Most mornings I wake up when my radio turns itself on.  This morning the first news I heard was that Art historian and critic Robert Hughes had died.

Robert Hughes
I guess writers on Art are a bit like music journalists really, - often educative but essentially parasitic and sometimes just plain destructive.  Occasionally though, a few get beyond mere egotism and manage to address the subject with insight and real relish and Hughes was one of those.  He was highly literate but never pompous and possessed a direct, (and typically Australian), no-nonsense approach.  In later life, arguably, he grew a bit macho and reactionary in his opinions, but throughout his career he proved it’s possible to express genuine intelligence in straightforward and non-patronising terms.


I have several of his titles on my bookshelves but, surely, he’ll be best remembered for the BBC T.V. series ‘The Shock of the New - Art & The Century Of Change’.  It was shown in 1980 just prior to the start of my Art Foundation Course and definitely contributed to my education.  Hughes was an effective television communicator and presented a comprehensive account of Modernism by separating out the major themes that run through it.  I still treasure my hardback copy of the accompanying book. [1.]

Richard Diebenkorn, 'Ocean Park No. 66', Oil on Canvas, 1973
Amongst all the usual suspects in his survey, Hughes included a reproduction of one of Richard Diebenkorn’s beautiful ‘Ocean Park’ paintings.  It made a massive impression on me at the time and triggered my abiding love of Diebenkorn’s work.  If not a household name, he’s a real ‘painter’s painter’ and I owe Hughes a debt of gratitude for bringing him to my attention at an important moment.


[1.]:  Robert Hughes, 'The Shock Of The New - Art & The Century Of Change', London, BBC Books, 1980

No comments:

Post a Comment