Sunday 29 May 2022

Significant Yellow Items: #2022.Y014 & #2022.Y015

 


All Yellow Gates Images: West Leicester, February 2022


As a child, I always had a somewhat troubled relationship with numbers. I laboured over maths lessons, and sometimes wonder if I was actually suffering from a mild case of dyscalculia. For a while, around 5 years-old, I even introduced a number called 'Twenteen' (between 19 and 20), when counting. That caused definite problems, as you can imagine. However, I have since come to adore the poetry of the concept - and often speculate on how one might write twenteen numerically (suggestions welcomed).





As an adult, I have contented myself with the fact that, some basic arithmetic and a small  facility with fractions and percentages, the ability to measure, and a moderate grasp on geometry, are about all I've really needed to get by. As I always suspected, simultaneous and quadratic equations appear to have had next to no bearing on my experience. This isn't to downgrade anyone who lives for numbers, but maybe just a recognition that we all speak slightly different languages - and that a quality-orientated world view is just as valid as a quantitative one.





All Hydrant Plaque Images: West Leicester, April 2022


One aspect of my numerical interactions which does remain intriguing, is a prevailing tendency to associate specific numbers with certain chromatic values. For me, 5 has always been situated somewhere within the yellow to yellow-orange spectrum. Apparently, that remains the case.  









1 comment:

  1. I love twenteen. I'd forgotten this story!

    ReplyDelete