Saturday 29 June 2013

Cyclogeography




I’ve formed the opinion that, along with some form of camera, a bicycle is one of the most useful tools for the psychogeographically inclined artist or urban explorer.  Purists of the tradition might point to the examples of Parisian Flaneurism or the Situationist Derives, claiming that such activity must be performed on two feet, and my younger self may once have have agreed.  Certainly, I used, habitually, to walk for dozens of miles at a time around various cities.  However, I seldom have much truck with purists and, as age and painful joints have more say in what I can do, my trusty old bike provides a great compromise between maintaining mobility whilst covering some distance, and remaining immersed in the city/landscape to the most immediate degree possible.  For me, the plus points include:

  • The possibility of jumping on and going wherever one’s instincts lead at short notice, and of stopping almost anywhere that seems worthy of investigation.
  • Negligible running costs and low environmental impact.
  • Total immersion in one’s surroundings, with all the sensual/sensory advantages that implies. 
  • The ability to cut through back lanes, cycle tracks, unofficial routes and hidden/forgotten territories and, (tyre width permitting); to leave the well-beaten track behind.
  • The mechanical miracle of the freewheel combined with loads of gears, meaning one can still travel at walking pace with minimal effort/impact when the body insists on it.
  • The child-like joy of jumping kerbs and swooping down any significant slope.
  • The by-product of getting some exercise without really noticing. 
  • Mine is purple.






I still have to pace myself and take care of my knees when cycling but, for the present and with the holidays approaching, two wheels definitely feel like the way to go.  I just need it to stop raining now…





No comments:

Post a Comment