Thursday 6 June 2013

Second City Interlude


The Rotunda, Birmingham City Centre

As usual, the little extra free time afforded by last week’s Half Term school holiday evaporated before my eyes.  However, as well as progressing with some painting, I did manage a trip to Birmingham for a gallery visit.  In the event, it proved very rewarding.


Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery

Fiona Rae, 'Dark Star', 2000, Oil. Acrylic & Glitter On Canvas

I spent several hours in Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, mostly in the current exhibition, ‘Metropolis’: Reflections On The Modern City’, but also dipping into the permanent collection too.  I hadn’t visited the Birmingham municipal collection for some years and had few memories of it, so was particularly pleased to find a room of contemporary work with several paintings that captured my attention.  Amongst them was Fiona Rae’s ‘Dark Star’.  I’ve discussed my enthusiasm for Rae’s painting before and was pleased to come across this one with its kitsch glittery motifs and flavour of techno-orientalism.  The sprayed elements seem to radiate out of the deep coloured grounds of many of her canvases from this period as if glowing on screens.


Jason Martin, 'F1', Acrylic On Stainless Steel, 1997

Jason Martin’s ‘Serengetti’ also captivated me.  Painted in 2001, it’s typical of the combed, textured panels with which he made his name.  I often enjoy this kind of post-Ryman ‘painting-about-the-nature-of-painting’, even if it does constitute a solipsistic dead end.  I hadn’t seen anything by Martin up close before and enjoyed the shimmering spatial ambiguities created by its corrugated surface and metallic pigment.  Perhaps you could dismiss Martin’s painting as the mere fetishisation of materials within seductive objects but I found more than just that in this one.  I can’t reproduce it at present but you can see it here.

The ‘Metropolis’ show itself was a real treat that introduced me to several new (to me), artists.  I’ll deal with it another time to avoid an over-long post now.


Birmingham Wholesale Market

Birmingham City Centre

Digbeth, Birmingham

Birmingham Wholesale Market

Needless to say, I had the camera with me and collected a number of images during the day.  My original plan to further explore the Digbeth area was somewhat curtailed but I found plenty of visual stimulus in the very centre of town instead.  I’ve included a handful of shots from the day here, including a couple of goodies for the Health & Safety & Road Markings album and a lovely, exuberantly tagged industrial shutter like those that influenced my ‘Closed’ and ‘Shut’ paintings last year. 


Digbeth, Birmingham




No comments:

Post a Comment