Tuesday 30 December 2014

Boxing Day...




Civic Pride: Bus Station Car Park, Lincoln, December 2014


I found myself back in my old hometown of Lincoln again, over the Christmas period.  My Mother still lives just outside the city and I periodically go into town to mooch about when I’m over that way, for old times sake if for no other.  Boxing Day is an obvious time to struggle out of one's chair and walk off a few accumulated calories, - and to take the camera for a stroll.


Bus Station, Lincoln, December 2014

Bus Station Car Park, Lincoln, December 2014

I’ve written before about Lincoln’s more picturesque aspects and how many of its older streets and buildings are tied up with my memories of childhood and my teenage years.  There’s no doubt that the most historical surviving quarter of the city retains an obvious charm, and it’s impossible to ignore both the Cathedral and the Norman Castle, perched high on the escarpment, at its heart.


Bus Station, Lincoln, December 2014


However, it is easy to get sucked into statements of the bleedin’ obvious, both visually and verbally, when contemplating such edifices, and its certainly true that my artistic eye and camera lens are generally drawn to a completely different brand of urban beauty these days. 



Bus Station Car Park, Lincoln, December 2014


Of course, you could argue that most of the images shown here fit equally comfortably into my regular comfort zone of car park-related iconography, entropic architectural detail and primary yellow things, but I struggle to shrug off my fascination with such stuff - so sue me, I guess.



St Mary's Street Car Park, Lincoln, December 2014


Bus Station Car Park, Lincoln, December 2014

St Mary's Car Park, Lincoln, December 2014


Some of these details of curbs, duct covers, road markings, etc. tie in with ideas I’m currently exploring around the theme of reinterpreted micro-landscapes.  It’s too early to tell how that might really play out yet, but for now, I’m justifying such images as valuable research.  Other, related examples are simply just part of my unending fascination with the city as a realm of signs, texts and potential clues, - an environment that might be read literally, conceptually or metaphorically.



Private Car Park, St Mary's Street, Lincoln, December 2014


Other things, like the terrific little fireplace, now looking onto a small car park, where a building once stood, or the beautifully re-rendered patch of wall adjacent to it, were just too visually arresting to let pass without remark.



West Front, Lincoln Cathedral, December 2014


I found myself up by the Cathedral as the gloomy Boxing Day light was failing, and had some notion of trying to do something impressionistic about the illuminated West Front with my phone, (in the ‘light’ of my previous post).  When floodlit, that immense cliff of decorative masonry can acquire an almost hallucinatory aspect that is hard to resist.  Sadly, the lights were yet to come on so instead, I had to content myself with more formal ways of trying to suggest something of the façade’s vertiginous qualities.  It’s been there nearly a thousand years, and even survived a minor earthquake, - so I imagine it’ll still be there for me to try again another day.








2 comments:

  1. The unexpected sight of that fireplace has really caught my imagination. I want to keep looking at it... I think I want to visit Lincoln just to see that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know I'm not the only one to be cheered by such inconsequential little urban details. I'm not sure it would be worth travelling to Lincoln for on its own, but it is very close to the Railway Station, and there are various other attractions in the old home town if you walk up the hill.

    ReplyDelete