Wednesday 31 December 2014

Fourteen, Fifteen, One Hundred



Work In Progress, New Year's Eve 2014


It’s been a pretty enjoyable Christmas break this year.  I’ve had plenty of R&R, and eaten and drunk enough to remember just how lucky I am to have the option.  I’ve also attended several cheery social gatherings and had many enjoyable conversations in the process.

New Year’s Eve will be a quiet one this year though.  I intend to be painting at midnight, with occasional recourse to a bottle of the good stuff.  In case that sounds a little tragic, it’s actually become something of a ritual with me in recent times.  After so many years of regretting my failure to really function as an artist, the last few have seen me producing artwork consistently and with none of my old doubts about my abilities.  I won’t claim everything done in that time has been of the highest standard, but it’s all stuff I believed in while I was doing it.  Most importantly, at no point did I feel like stopping.  It’s back where it belongs, (at the centre of my life), and I can no longer really imagine not devoting as much of my available time to it as possible.




It feels even more appropriate than ever to be getting back to the easel as soon as possible this year.  I have an exhibition to work towards, (next June, - at Rugby Art Gallery & Museum, with Andrew Smith), and it’s inevitable that will occupy increasing amounts of my attention as the deadline looms.  The house may be a mess, (and my workroom even more so), but there are four paintings intended for that show well under way, and a few remaining days of school holiday to push them along as far as possible.

So, to be hard at work, and ankle-deep in torn paper, acrylic paint and PVA as the old year clicks over into the new, actually feels like an excellent and enjoyable way to be facing the future.


Postscript:

I'll admit, I've worked hard this month to get the blog post count up to 100 for the year, (a mere affectation, - I have a slightly autistic liking for round numbers).  For the reasons outlined above, it’s possible that my bulletins may be a little thinner on the ground during the first half of 2015.  I certainly intend to keep the blog going though, - so thanks to all those who bother to come back on a regular basis, (and to leave encouraging comments).  I hope I can still dredge up a few things of interest in the coming months.


Happy New Year



3 comments:

  1. It sounds like an absolutely excellent way to cross from one year into another. Your words remind me of a friend, who is also a painter/collage artist, and the most 'real' artist I've ever met (in 'real life') in that it is at the very core of his being, it's what he lives for... so what you describe resonates and I have no doubt that he will be in his studio tonight working through the small hours too... ankle-deep in just the same things.

    As I'm an illustrator I'll be working some hours tomorrow to meet my deadline and I'll enjoy it too... but not tonight!!

    Good luck with the preps for your exhibition and happy new year, Hugh. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent choice for green.

    It sounds like you're getting comfortable back in the saddle and I'm looking forward to the results.

    Happy New Year Hugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Guys. Here's hoping for a productive 2015 for all. I was trying something slightly different as midnight struck, and I think it's going to work. I'll take that as a good sign. Hopefully, I'll have something 'finished' to show you soon. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete