Sunday 19 August 2018

Completed Sculpture: 'This S(c)eptic Isle': 'Sentinel 2 (Premium Bulk Pack)'




'Sentinel 2 (Premium Bulk Pack)', Salvaged Cardboard Boxes, MDF, Acrylics, Paper Collage,
Adhesive Tape & French Polish, 129 cm X 60 cm X 60 cm, 2018


Here’s the second of my recently completed ‘Sentinel’ sculptures.  This one’s subtitled, ‘Premium Bulk Pack’, for reasons that should be fairly evident from the accompanying images.  The use of phrases, extracted from original printed box graphics, for the subtitles of these pieces, is one point I omitted to mention in my discussion of ‘Sentinel 1’ – but what I wrote there applies to ‘2’ in pretty much every other respect.  I’ll spare you any pointless repetition here.







I suppose there’s always a danger of disappearing up the fundament of self-reflexivity, with all this fancy word play.  Doubtless, it would have been more straightforward to further mine the fragments of my extended ‘Below The Line / Beneath Contempt’ text (which also adorn these sculptures), for their subtitles.  But doing it this way adds a pleasing reminder of the found nature of the raw materials.  In fact, the reality is probably even closer to the fact to say that, the printed phrases - whilst nominally functional or promotional in nature, take on a pleasing resonance of their own (in my mind) which just felt too tempting to ignore.








No comments:

Post a Comment