Tuesday 28 August 2018

Completed Sculpture: 'This S(c)eptic Isle': 'Sentinel 4 (Wrong Way Up)'




'Sentinel 4 (Wrong Way Up)', Salvaged Cardboard Boxes, MDF, Acrylics, Paper Collage,
Adhesive Tape & French Polish, 125 cm X 60 cm X 60 cm, 2018


Regular visitors will know the drill by now,  Essentially, I'm methodically putting up posts about my recently completed work, just now - in advance of next month's 'Visions Of A Free-Floating Island' exhibition, with Shaun Morris and Andrew Smith.








This is the fourth of the 'Sentinel' sculptures, 'Sentinel 4 (Wrong Way Up)'.  If I have slight qualms, in retrospect, about the possibly over-literal formal composition of '3' - I have to say, I'm rather happier with this one.  It seems to relate fairly closely to the larger 'Sentinel 1', and to possibly hit an equable sweet spot between suggesting a human figure, and being a purely formal arrangement of boxes.








I'm also pretty pleased with the large applied text fragment, "I'm a human being, God-dammit! My life has value!", and even with the slightly juvenile juxtaposition of the originally printed "Wrong Way Up" legend, and inverted arrows.  There's something delightfully passive-aggressive about labelling the wrong way up, the right way up (as it were), I feel.  I also think the overall distribution of black, red and white graphics seems to achieve a pleasing balance throughout the entire piece.  I'm even quite pleased with the addition of the "Fragile" packing tape, although its variable adhesive properties make that stuff surprisingly tricky to work with, I have to say.







Just one more of these, plus a couple of other loose ends - to follow shortly...




No comments:

Post a Comment