Saturday 8 February 2014

The Mayonnaise Of Modern Life 2.



After Posting this last time…



Leicester, February 2014


…I now realise my focus was all wrong.  The image isn't really about the mild annoyance of having to sponge mayo off my recently cleaned car, or indeed, the vague sense that modern life is out to get me.

Instead it's actually about the massive versatility of fluid media.  In a small way, the three (count them), examples of white 'paint' here demonstrate contrasting sets of material and expressive qualities, not to mention allusions to application, time, gesture, line quality, correction, intention, planning, entropy, spontaneity, etc.  In fact, there is so much here that interests me about the painting process.

I marvel how these random little moments can lead to such subsequent meditation and, on reflection, wouldn't be without them.  Without getting pompous, I think this is what being an artist is all about.  Too profound? - thought so.





No comments:

Post a Comment